Monday, December 21, 2009

It Must Be Grace-V-1

It Must Be Grace
Written by Brian White, Chris Easton & Don Poythress

Verse 1

How could One, One such as You be longing for me
What would I. I have to give that You’d ever need
Why, no matter how far I run
Do You pursue me
Why, when I fall time after time
Do You still love me
What could make You love me

One of those really big mysteries of the Bible and this relationship with God is the relationship with God. On one hand you have the Creator of the Universe, the One who can hear every prayer, who is attentive to the smallest details and He longs for time with me. Why, what clever things do I have to say which make this an equal relationship?

Then I think of me and my sons. We are not equal because I have many years of life experience, education and age difference which give me the ‘upper hand’ if you will. But even when they were small and I wasn’t as interested in the friends or toys they wanted to share with me-the sharing with me pulled my heart to listen carefully and to be drawn into their world for awhile.

So it isn’t much different when we want to tell God about an accomplishment or even a disappointment. He cares because He cares for us. He could solve our issues or questions with just a little conversation and a different perspective but He wants us to have the joy of discovery and the value of making progress because we are growing, not because we are told to insert A into B. When I discover the usefulness or the solution by His careful guidance it means much more to me, just like watching my sons.

The knowledge that He does pursue me, when I am so busy running around as if my salvation and obedience are dependent on me is beyond comprehension. Somehow I have learned the lesson that busyness means I am achieving and my achieving makes me acceptable and loved. Of course as a Mom when I wanted toys picked up, the sooner it was done the sooner we could cuddle or do something else.

I was not a successful parent because my boys would run frantically tossing things in bins and shoving them in closets. My achievements do not make God look better, He makes me look better and different to a sin sick world. The things I do because He truly asks them to be done demonstrate His love and the changes He is bringing into my life by the study of His Word, the circumstances I face daily and the relationships I have with those around me. Excuse me, I have to go tell my Dad about something that happened today.

No comments:

Post a Comment