Sunday, December 20, 2009

It Must Be Grace-Chorus

It Must Be Grace
Written by Brian White, Chris Easton & Don Poythress

Chorus

I don’t understand what it is you see in the heart of someone like me,
When I let you down, but You still believe and
prove Your love time and again and again,
All I can say is it must be grace.

There are many Bible characters that could have written this song and could sing this song with total integrity but my first choice would be King David. David was larger than life from boyhood. How many boys do you know who have killed a bear and a lion while protecting the family sheep? Okay we don’t even know people who own sheep but I still find this feat amazing. He was still a young boy when he killed Goliath, while the rest of the army shook in their sandals. BUT he also sinned in ways that most of us can not imagine. He conceived a baby with another man’s wife, and had him murdered to cover it up. David’s marriages and children were a mess.

But one thing David knew, that grace would allow him to serve out his days as the King, He would be the father of the one who would build the tabernacle and he was in the line of the Messiah-all because of God’s grace. His actions did not earn him a place in history and his actions did not make him someone to be hidden or shunned. He knew it was God who was in charge and even David couldn’t hurt His reputation with God.

I am walking carefully to live in this Grace life that God has provided. It is easier to do when it is not focused on my behavior, bad or good. You see first if the focus is on me it is off of God. I might begin to measure myself against others and they suffer most of the time in comparison. (lol) Or even if I am being ‘humble’ and beating myself up for my shortcomings it is still all about me.

How can I extend grace to that driver who just cut me off when I am in ‘me mode’? I can’t I have none. The only grace I can extend is taking what has been given to me and seeing someone that needs it and giving it to them. We generally see someone cutting us off as them being rude or arrogant to us, but what if we could know they just received a phone call and someone they love is hurt or ill and all they can think about is getting there. We really don’t know someone else’s agenda but we are quick to judge their action by our yardstick.

You see Grace isn’t given to us to hoard or hide away. It is not a reward for great behavior or being a favorite, it is a pure gift from One who truly knows how unworthy we are but chooses to give anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment