Thursday, December 17, 2009

Foot Washing

I was reading a blog today of a family member who was involved with service to the homeless and her station was a foot wash, massage and clean socks. She shared some of the stories of those she tended that day and her personal feelings and observations. I was touched by the lessons we learn when we are "just" living. She shared the fact that they were uncomfortable exposing their feet to someone else because of the neglect. When they could get past their fear and humiliation they would be able to relax and receive the gift of service offered and the pleasure it brought.

I have grown up in the church and remember people talking about a "foot washing" service. They would usually lead to some restored relationships but I have never experienced one of these services.

Then I think of when Jesus offered to wash the feet of his closest friends and the lessons learned, my favorite being Peter's "wash all of me then". But as I have thought about this today I wonder if we miss the point when we try to copy something we see in scripture so we can "create" a reproduction to make this spiritual lesson more meaningful to us. I do not doubt that the Lord works in our mysterious ways to get through our thick heads but I think the lessons learned in this "unspiritual" activity were far more valuable than thinking about doing something spiritual.

I remember one time a friend invited me to go shopping for a Christmas dress and we found a beautiful purple one with sequins and I was suprised when she offered to pay for it as a gift to me. Unfortunately later she mentioned that the funds came from women's ministries or that had been her plan but her husband pointed out that wasn't appropriate and I was embarassed because I had became a ministry project.

I guess the bottom line is we need to treat people with love and dignity because we are all valuable to God and life is not about us "doing" things to show our spirituality. Perhaps if I just do the right thing for the right reason it opens an opportunity to share but the old plan is really just trying to be clever about manipulating opportunities to let my light shine.

1 comment:

  1. Very good. Yes, we have been too conniving in "sharing" the gospel. How bout loving people just to love people. How many times have we heard others say, "I love them even if they don't become Christians" but once the hearer/receiver doesn't respond we write them off? We should love to love and for no other reason. Glad you liked the story.

    ReplyDelete