Sunday, February 6, 2011

Walk a Mile in Their Shoes

That old saying is easier to say and think than it is to live. We come up with excuses, 'I'm not judging, I'm a fruit inspector'. Or question, ‘how can I help my fellow travelers if I don't spot where they are missing the mark and get them back on track’.

Recently I heard the story of someone who has not worked except fill-in jobs since I have known him which is a couple of years. I thought he was just one of those guys who has decided that the opportunity to have a good time, smoke a little weed, drink a little and just make enough to get by. I have seen a lot of this attitude and our economic conditions only adds to the excuses. I like this guy because he is in the life of a good friend but I understand her frustration at his lack of drive to achieve and to be working toward a future.

The story I heard was how he was a businessman with teams of employees and projects from LA to San Diego. He was a careful planner, followed weather conditions because they affected his business. In a short span of time despite his careful attention, some bizarre weather conditions affected this whole area. He was roofing 3 different shopping malls and because of the damages even though he had insurance he lost everything. His wife was unfaithful and he lost his family and soon he was left living with friends and working when it came up.

I was appalled at myself for writing a scenario about his life that had nothing to do with reality. A person who needs encouragement, understanding and my prayers received none of that from me.

I don't see this man often but now he is a part of my prayer time. Perhaps someday I can relate to him in a deeper way but until then he has my respect and my sympathy, not my disdain.

Something we need to all remember-everyone has a story. Not knowing the story can cause us to be judgmental and put a distance between us that is not honoring to God. Jesus took the time to talk with a woman He should not have by the standards of the culture and He changed her life and the rest of the town. He touched the unclean, called life to the dead and not to be a rebel but to honor His Father and the ultimate purpose He came for-restoration and healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment