Sunday, February 6, 2011

Intentional

Intentional: done purposely. Intention: determination to do a specified thing or act in a specified manner, anything intended or planned.

As a writer I like words and that means sometimes a word catches my imagination and I not only look up the meaning and different uses but I work on that word in my mind, a meditation if you will. A few years ago when my worries were less looming and I did this on a regular basis the last word I had begun working on was Intentional. I even made a bracelet at that time which had a lot of my favorite words and this was the last one.

My thinking at that time, and has proved out by the last few years, is if you are not living an intentional life, you are probably living a passive, doing what is next on the list life. It can become a pattern to live re-actively. To keep moving based on what is happening around you from the good events to the handling of a crisis. This leaves me feeling not only out of control but a life that is subject to events and eventually I think a sense of martyrdom or a victim profile slowly became my mindset.

Being intentional in lifestyle does not mean you won’t have situations that were unplanned for or that take you in directions you had no desire to go. There are many other people who influence and affect our days. The weather, economic conditions, fires, earthquakes many things are out of our control but our outlook will make all the difference in whether we shine or sink.

I think what I am looking for in ‘intentional’ being a life word is a sense of purpose that may change ‘shades’ but will dig deeper for the important things in life not be put aside.

Such as my relationship with God, He isn’t in my life to follow my dreams and wishes.
He actually has a plan and it is the BIG picture, how I finish my race not the going to LA should I take the 10 or the 60. Don’t misunderstand me I am not saying God doesn’t care about the details, He loves the conversation to make that choice but it isn’t the point of my life.

So what is the point. My daily walk of course, my focus on the things which are important to Him and demonstrated by Jesus while He was here on earth. Taking people where they were and giving them hope and meeting the needs which would hopefully encourage them to seek the light that reveals the truth and the way to Father.

1 comment:

  1. A big word with post-modern people of faith. We must be intentional with our spirituality. Most of our lives (the kind you and I had in church) we just took what came our way. The most intentional thing we did was go to church. But, even there, whatever stuck, stuck. No chewing on it, no mulling it over during the week, no digging in to whether it was true or not or right for us.
    Good points, Cuz.

    ReplyDelete